What is Radon?
Radon is a naturally occurring, odorless, tasteless, colorless radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. It is a byproduct of naturally occurring decay of uranium in rock, soil and water. Between five and ten percent of the homes in Wisconsin have radon levels above the US EPA guideline of 4 pCi/L average on the main floor. Every region of Wisconsin has some homes with elevated radon levels.
Because radon is a gas it is capable of moving through the soil and structures to the water below the ground surface and to the air above. Homes and buildings can trap air containing radon and cause a health concern. Radon charged dust particles can be inhaled; these radioactive particles cling to lung tissue and decay there. The lung damage caused can lead to lung cancer. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking, according to a recent report from the National Academy of Sciences.
Who should test for Radon?
The United States Environmental Protection Agency and the Surgeon General strongly recommend that all homes be tested for radon and, if a problem exists, corrective action be taken. The only way to tell if radon is present in your home is to test. Radon test kits are available at the Health Department for $10.00 each. Please stop in, call 715-528-3462 or email Sara Jerue to get your kit.